I read an article the other day entitled "How to grow a spiritual champion" Though it sounded interesting it was also disturbing. Apparently we as Christians have royally dropped the ball. According to this article, people aren't noticing a difference in churched and un-churched kids. Now, I know going to church doesn't make you a Christian... but that's not the point here. Those of us that do go to church, that do consider ourselves to be Christians, where do our children fall in the realm of 'noticeably different'?
When I became a Christian (at 18) the very first thing that "got" me was that Christians had something that I didn't. At the time I didn't have a clue what that was, I accepted Jesus rather blindly, but I knew that whatever these people had, I wanted. It was obvious. Standing in a crowded church on a Sunday morning, people everywhere were just.. beautiful. I don't know how else to explain it. And apparently that is what is missing from the next generation. That's disturbing. I've mentioned leaving a legacy in previous posts ,and that is something that is always on my mind. Since I didn't grow up in a Christian home I wonder if I'm missing out on anything. These early childhood rearing years... I have no example to go by.
We definitely DO things differently around here (vs when I was growing up). We have a great family devotional that's designed to be done around the dinner table. Unfortunately it's misplaced at the moment. We pray at the table. We pray at bedtime. We pray when someone is hurt or scared. Is that what will raise a spiritual champion? Hardly. It's a start I'm sure but it's not close to enough. Children being able to recite scripture isn't going to make them strong warriors for Christ later in life either. The devil knows the Bible. It's our actions as parents, it's our lifestyle, our daily walk that our kids see. It's THAT they will remember. ( I read something that said children who see their Father's having devotions/reading the Bible are more likely to be walking with God later in life than those that only see their Mom's reading the Bible) hmmm.
I saw a quote on the window at my bank. It said "People will forget what you were wearing, people will forget what you said, but people will never forget how you made them feel" (or something very close to that anyway!) I had to apologize to Joseph yesterday. I overreacted to a situation. We were both upset. I wonder how often I do that and don't realize it. So what am I living in a daily basis to teach my kids? Do they SEE me have devotions? Do they HEAR me pray (more than at a meal)? Do they SEE me serve? Worship? on my knees before Him?
When I am out on a mission trip things are different. I feel like I turn into a different person. I'm suddenly the first to rise. I get ready for the day. I have devotions, at great length. I don't do those things to put on a show, I do it because there is just 'something in the air' when on a mission trip. I FEEL different and I want the most out of my experience there. It occurred to me (in a rather DUH kind of a moment) that THIS, my kids, my being a stay at home Mom, IS MY MISSION FIELD. My children have been my alarm clock for the past 4 1/2 years. My devotions have been scattered. My prayer has been weak. Not that I don't do those things, just not to the degree that I should. Not to the degree that I need to in order to raise up a generation of young people who will stand out in a crowd. So that's my new goal. To be a better witness to my children. To "practice what I preach" In all areas of life.
"Most children's world view is formed by the age of 9" (so said the above mentioned article) Luckily that gives me some time to get things right. I plan on using my time wisely.
September 28, 2007
Growing Spiritual Champions
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Wow. God so used this post to challenge me. You say it beautifully...we have got to use our time wisely if our goal is to raise children who will stand out for him.
*sigh* I'm so wishing I could just sit and talk to you in person. Maybe soon. And yes, we're still thinking Novemberish.
xo
I love this post! THIS is my mission field - well stated. I have felt challenged in the same way in my own life.
This has definitely been an area I am being challenged in lately...repeatedly... :). I so agree that we have our own little "mission field" - we just lose sight of it at times, amidst all the smelly diapers, food all over the walls, kids everywhere... thanks for another reminder (and I'll keep Christin company until you get to see her. :)
Post a Comment