Well, I like the idea of having him memorize scripture about fear. He does have a memory verse every week or so. I will be sure to make the next one on fear. We pray before bed. We remind him that Jesus is with him....
Tonight we tried something new. At bedtime we let Joseph read books, color, play with some quiet toys... as long as he was quiet and in his room. When he decided that his body was tired he could call one if us and we would come tuck him in. So I set him up with some things in his room and came downstairs. I think I sat down for a full second before I heard "I'm ready for bed" I thought he would last a little longer but it's ok. He did really well. We finished out the rest of our regular bedtime routine and he was asleep at a very appropriate time. I don't know how this will play out other nights, but tonight it worked. I wanted to focus on him knowing when he's tired. He thinks that it is a bad thing and I want to change that. Giving him the choice of quiet play and sleep gives him the control that he wants... and if he is only playing for two minutes, it's all good.
September 16, 2007
Good Night
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Yay! This is what we do for C and she loves it!! It also gives S motivation to stop using a pacifier bc she knows that when she does, she also gets a flashlight in bed. :)
Sounds great! I'm going to write about our bedtime progress with Haven, but I think waiting until he's actually tired is important.
Great! So glad that helped. We put ours to bed with books and toys too and then they are to go to sleep when they are ready.
K used to be scared - we had gotten her a goldfish to keep her company - it worked for awhile. Quiet music worked too until she began waking in the middle of the night and wanting her music again...UGH!
Hope things keep working out!
Post a Comment