When Roger and I first started having kids we had a discussion about Halloween. I went trick-or-treating as a kid. I loved it. Dressing up. Party's. CANDY. Well he grew up with out the candy infested "holiday". They actually made it a point to leave the house on trick-or-treat night. We decided to forgo the candy laden day, and save dress up for other times of play. Fine with me. Last year (or was it 2 years ago?) we decided to let Joseph hand out some candy, get a glimpse of what the day is about. Hopefully we didn't scar him for life. The princess', policemen, clowns... they were cute. Joseph enjoyed plopping some treats into their bag. Witches, goblins, "scream" costumes...freaked him out. We only stayed out for a short while. We brought him inside and had a conversation about Halloween. It was good for him (I think) to see that, and to see why we don't participate in the days events.
I was at the store yesterday. I saw a little boy looking a little frightened. My first thought was that he had lost his Mommy. He wasn't standing really near anyone. I looked around and disturbingly found this little boy's father smiling and laughing with a skeleton head that moves its mouth and talks. He was motioning for his son to come closer and check it out. I wanted to throw up. Seriously? You want your 2 year old to check that horribly disgusting thing out?! I hear that the next generation is fearless. There is only more and more crime. If we raise our children to think that evil things are funny, to think crime tv (CSI...) is worth watching, to think that dressing up like a bloody vampire is acceptable, then what road are we leading them down? It saddens me to think that there are children out there this Halloween who are dressing up like this. Lord please watch over them. Protect their hearts from evil. God let their parents see Your light in the darkness.
I wish the day wasn't so dark. I wish people didn't dress up like the devil. I wish it wasn't a day for practical jokes gone wild.
Anyhew... thats my Halloween talk. And just so I don't start a debate over trick-or-treating let me just add this - it is a choice each and every family needs to make for themselves. I'm not going to be disgusted with you if you are trick or treating, just don't show up at my door dressed in anything bloody, evil, or carrying a weapon.
Ok, really. I'm done now.
October 25, 2007
Let's talk Halloween
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
I was thinking about writing something like this too ... I don't know what we'll do. Growing up, Dave and I both went Halleluia Night at church on Halloween, where we dressed as biblical heros. I'm not sure what we'll do with our kids. I wish it weren't such a yucky holiday too - I wish it could JUST be about dressing up like bees and clowns and cowboys and getting candy from your neighbors.
I never got to go trick-or-treating either. We always attended a "Harvest Party" at church. And could dress as Biblical characters or animals. Ryan's family didn't really participate in going house to house either until the kids got older like in Jr High, before that they attended church programs as well. At our house we decided to take the kids out for Halloween, but only go to a few houses. We usually hit the grandparets houses and a few friends and then return home, but always keep our lights off so as not to get any sick little goblins at or front door. We never let them dress up as goblins or any of that bloody yucky stuff. I even make a point to stay away from all of that in the aisles at Walmart as much as I can. HOWEVER.....Last night we took the kids out. Please refer to my blog for more on this adventure!!! I will be posting this afternoon.
My hubby and I went trick or treating as kids. It is actually my birthday. So when we had kids we didn't really put much thought into it (plus we were still in college and lived on campus that had safe trick or treat in the dorms) The church we attend now uses Halloween and trick or treating as an outreach, called trunk or treat. People in the church park their cars in our parking lot and open up their trunks filled with candy. We have a praise band playing and games too. I think it is a great outreach to the community around the church. Most adults start going to church because of their kids wanting to go...as sad as that is :) Well I'm glad you commented on my blog! I love your blog and your kids are beautiful!
Post a Comment