November 6, 2007

Not how I like to wake up

"Honey, can you wake up?" huh? yeah, why? "In 5 minutes it will be 20 minutes since I took my inhaler, I still can't breathe" With that I shot out of bed to get dressed. I grabbed some clothes for the boys and we piled in the car to head to the hospital. It's only a 5 minute drive - if that. I called my mom on the way. I wanted her to come get the boys. I can count the number of times I have prayed in tongues, and I will add this time to that tally. I dropped Roger off at the ER door and I got all of the kids out of the van. They were not happy campers, we had to wake them up to leave the house. Hannah was still asleep and still in her mismatched pj's. (see honey, there is a reason why I like them to match ALL THE TIME) :) They took him back right away and made us wait while they got him situated. I didn't like that. I imagine thats what Roger felt like while I was in labor with Nehemiah and the Dr made him leave the room to give me an epidural. After a few minutes we were allowed to go back to his "room". They still hadn't given him anything to help him breathe. They were asking questions. Where do you live? Whats your phone number? Seriously?! Can you help him breathe and THEN figure out his address please. ugh. My mom showed up and took our van back to her house with the boys. Nehemiah wasn't to keen on the idea at first, but after a few minutes at Grandma's he decided it was fun afterall. Roger was hooked up to various machines. Something to watch his heart rate, something to check his blood pressure, some other number giving machine. Then he had a mask on with the medication he needed to open his airway and help him to breathe. That was an hour long treatment. While doing that they took blood, did an x-ray, and an EKG. All of which came back normal (i think) So after, 3 hours at the hospital we went home with a prescription for a steroid of some sort. Now we're hoping this steroid won't interfere with his appointment to see the asthma and allergy specialist on Friday. It might. I'll call them after lunch. The boys seemed to have fun at Grandma's. Grandma got to work late. Hannah had fun flirting with the hospital staff. Roger and I got to see what happens when you show up at the ER having an asthma attack. Know we know, and we don't want to do it again.




called the asthma and allergy specialist.... and the new RX won't interfere with the testing to be done on Friday - so thats good. We are looking forward to this appointment.

1 comment:

Christin said...

Oh my goodness, Val! Is he feeling better now?!

don't you love the way it seems like you could run the ER unit so much more seamlessly? There have been times in the ER when I felt like shouting "Does no one carry common sense around anymore!?"

Hugs to you, my friend