July 6, 2007

I don't want to die

Ok so this is a conversation between Joseph and I ... death and dying. Crazy stuff

We were getting the kids ready for bed tonight and out of nowhere Joseph said "I don't want to die." huh?! You are 4 honey, you're not going to die for a long time. "Yeah, but I don't want to die. Will I come back to life?" Um, no but you will live in Heaven and that is going to be great. The most fun you've ever had! "Yeah but I want to live here" ugh This is not going well. Buddy you are going to live to be older than Daddy and older than Papa Al. Thats old! (sorry Papa Al) "I know but I just wanna come back to life" With that Joseph burst into tears crying "I don't want to die!" Roger and I had to turn our heads and laugh (and the parent of the year award goes to.......!) It just seemed so unreal that this conversation was even happening. We discussed heaven and Jesus and all that 'good stuff' but nothing would calm him down. Finally I asked if he wanted to live forever. "yes" Ok Jesus will have you live forever then. He wiped his tears, gave a smile and said "really? ok" I'll have to explain later that I mean eternal life... um, in Heaven. :) For now, he is sleeping. Since when are 4 years olds obsessed with dying? I think this came from me (yes I know, I will NOT be the recipient of that award) My back has been hurting something terrible lately. I think Joseph heard me say "My back is killing me" Um, not the right thing to say with children around. I think next time I'll just grunt through the pain and head for the tylenol. ;)

I just want to clarify our laughter during the "I don't want to die" drama. We are not heartless parents... when he first stated that he didn't want to die he said it with a smirk on his face. When I asked him if he's joking around he laughed.... that is where our laughter came from.

No comments: