August 20, 2007

People watching

I'm a people watcher. I love to watch people and how they handle situations. How they go about daily living. I have seen Mother's handle their routy children with such love and patience that I just can't ignore my urge to go over and tell her what a good job she's doing. I've seen Mothers that have handled situations with their children so poorly that I just can't resist the urge to go over and say something to lighten the mood so the poor kids didn't get into any more trouble. It's not just Mom's that I watch though. Anyone in my line of vision will do. :) I was at a traffic light the other day (an insanely long red) when I noticed a somewhat older (50 years MAX)and heavier woman struggling down the 2 steps from her house to the sidewalk below. Now, my first reaction was not a nice reaction. Thought of her weight and her very difficult waddle over to her flower bed were flying around in my head. Then this flood of compassion? hit me... and I felt so sad for this woman. After all, what if she was struck with a horrible case of arthritis and it was taking all she had to walk down the stairs to her flower bed? What if she has cancer? What if she...? How bold of her to go out on such a public road and let the rest of us see her struggle... that she was determined to win! My heart turned to prayer for this woman... the light turned green and I drove on. I don't think my people watching will ever be the same. Thank you Lord. Thank you for opening my eyes.

No comments: