July 13, 2008

Parenting With A Twist

I've decided to write a book. I think I'll call it "Raising Godly children: with duct tape and a sharpie"

or something like that.

Here's a preview of some topics that will be covered in the book.

Chapter One: The Sharpie, every mother should have one.
We were with some friends, having a good time. Joseph was attempting to give me a puppy kiss. (aka, lick my arm) I had no desire to be licked. I asked him not to. He wasn't listening. So, I threatened. "If you lick me I'm going to give you a mustache" He ran away. I was pleased.
A mother was sitting next to me whose children are younger than mine. Her jaw was kinda on the floor. "A mustache?" she said. "Yes" I replied. "It works. If he isn't listening I threaten to draw a mustache on his face with a sharpie (permanent marker) while he's sleeping" Her expression slowly softened as she realized my genius mothering skills. "I'll have to remember that" she said.

Oh, I have more where that came from my friend. I have more.

Chapter 2: God used nails, I use duct tape
Hannah has taken quite the liking to undressing lately. Down to the bare bottom. She can take everything off. By herself. Though I am strongly FOR her using the potty, I am strongly AGAINST poop on my living room carpet. After a few long weeks of tackling the girl every ten minutes to re-diaper we decided that duct tape, it's our friend. Really. It fixes everything. I am pleased to announce that she does not know how to take the duct tape off. My floor has not been peed on all day.

Chapter 3: A healthy fear of the public school system
Homeschooling. That will surely have a chapter in my book. When Joseph doesn't want to pay attention. When he wants to crawl under the table and play with the fallen cereal from breakfast instead of doing phonics drills I say "do you want to go to public school?" It's sure to get a quick response. I suddenly have an obedient eager to learn student on my hands.


Oh, but don't let all of that fool you. We are a God loving family. We pray together. We sing "Bible" songs. We even act out various Bible stories. David and Goliath is a favorite.
(I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that someone gets hit in the head and falls to his death.)

Ah yes, my book would be sure to stand out on the bookshelf. My parenting style is, well, unique. My children seem to be happy, healthy, and thriving. Joseph has asked Jesus to be in his life, and speaks to Him regularly. So even in my "unique-ness" there must be something that we are doing right.

And if you want the book, I'll let you know when I find a publisher. ;)

8 comments:

jmo said...

Dear Sister... if you actually ever wrote this book, not only would I buy it- but I would recommend it to EVERY single person I know. I am very serious. It would be a bestseller. I'm not kidding. You have a FABULOUS writing style and your words just "speak" to people. You make us all feel like we're not alone in our weirdness! (that's a compliment- even if it doesn't sound like it!). Seriously... I think it would be fabulous if you wrote a book. If you didn't want to use pictures of your real kids.. I could do pencil drawings for you to "assist the theme" :)

jmo said...

By the way... I totally know you're kidding... but I wish that you weren't. You'd be a great writer, and really, really would speak to people.

Foxy5 said...

I'm laughing over here, Jen you are so funny. I'm thinking selling a book about duct taping your kids isn't the best idea. But then again I just put it out there for all of blog land to see. Good thing I only have 4 readers. :)

I could do a series. My second book would be titled "Praying for our Children: The negative effects of duct tape and sharpies"

jmo said...

Seriously... did you see the stuff Bill cosby wrote about? He pushed his kids back "into the ring" so his wife could shoot evil at them! I'm pretty sure (although one could never tell these days) that no one would bring you up to children and youth for adding some duct tape strength to the diaper! It's not like you're duct taping the actual child! LOL... (are you?)... well... let's definitely agree to NIX the pictures then.. and go with drawings... less incriminating evidence! :)

Unknown said...

Puppy kisses. That's my little nephew. :-)

Kimmie said...

Hi Valerie;

Great book idea...go for it. Seriously, the Holy Spirit has given you the idea, run with it and see if He doesn't open all the doors you need when the time comes.
God has given us a great gift in duct tape, eh?
Thanks for coming by and leaving me such kind words.

I love you and your unique mothering style, I'd have to say the mustache wouldn't work here, my kids would line up to get theirs and of course having used permanent marker would leave me holding the bag, trying to explain why my 6 all suddenly were donning such manly mustaches. ;-) Great photo opportunity though I bet.

hugs to you my sweet friend;
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted

Mary@notbefore7 said...

LOL. LOL. LOL.

Love it! You are too funny.

Living and Loving Life in the Lord said...

Laughing my head off here!