
The fun is gone. School is dull. Annoying. Long.
Help. Anyone? What do you do to make homeschooling fun? Or at least less dull? :)
Any pointers on teaching the calendar? A good way (or a good song) to teach the months? Teaching how many days are in each month?
Joseph is doing great in school. His grades are amazing. (And yes, he does have actual grades. The curriculum we use doesn't just do a pass/fail thing like when I was in Kindergarten) (4score and 7 years ago) Joseph is a visual learner with little patience though. And while I get the visual thing I don't get his no patience thing. I don't think I ever acted is if i expected him to get everything in school right the first time. I realize this is just Kindergarten. I realize he is just learning and it can take time. He doesn't. He gets very upset if it doesn't all just click right away. Then he stops trying.
I'm open to any and all ideas on how to deal with that too:)
Maybe I should have changed the title of this post to HELP ME WITH HOMESCHOOL. :)
I'm giving us a nice long vacation next week for my birthday and Thanksgiving. (Sometimes it's nice to be the teacher!) :)
November 20, 2008
Homeschool
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
Days in the months are easy. Make a fist (palm down). Start on a knuckle as January then count over using the knuckles and valleys between knuckles (Jan, Feb, Mar, etc). When you hit August, either move to the other hand or double tap the end knuckle and work backwards. When you hit your month, if it's a knuckle it's 31 days. Valley is 30 days. Except Feb, which is 28 days or 29 in a leap year.
Leap year if fun too! Leap if year is evenly divided by 4. Unless it's evenly divided by 100. Unless it's evenly divided by 400.
2009 / 4 = 502.25 ... Nope, not a leap year!
2004 / 4 = 501 ... Leap year!
2004 / 100 = 20.04 ... Yep, still a leap year.
1800 / 4 = 450 ... Leap year!
1800 / 100 = 18 ... Nope, not a leap year
1800 / 400 = 4.5 ... Nope, still not a leap year
2000 / 4 = 500 ... Leap year!
2000 / 100 = 20 ... Opps! Not a leap year!
2000 / 400 = 5 ... Opps, going back to a leap year
Um, ok thanks Michael. I like the knuckle thing but your math gave me a headache.
I like the rhym for the days in the months: 30 days has September, April, May and November, all the rest have 31, except February, which has 28. Ok, so the last part doesn't rhym. As for leap year, um, I'd teach him to check a calendar. Or the internet. But I guess he could do that for the days of the month too.(:
For more fun ... maybe more field trips? Once they hit fractions ... My mom used to tell us to make cookies one and a half times the recipe and she called that our math less for the day. It definately was more fun than poring over a math book!
Math lesson, I mean. Haha.
Yeah Michael- seriously? I love you sweetheart, but your math makes MY head hurt too. :)
I love the baking idea for math. You get fractions, multiplying adding... all sorts of good stuff in there!
Also- I'm going to record a show for you on Sprout (PBS) called "Sid the Science Kid"- We LOVE IT. they do all sorts of "experiments" like freezing fruit in a block of ice- and seeing what they can do to make it melt/get the fruit out for snack time. TONS of great ideas for learning and experiments that are young kid friendly.
Post a Comment