August 21, 2008

What do you get when you cross a hammer and a thumb?

A very painful broken thumb!

We are in the process of building a little bridge in the backyard. Roger was hammering away when... OOPS!... he missed the nail. Completely and totally missed the nail. He hit his thumb with as much gusto as he possibly could.

He handled it very well. I think all he said was "ouch" and he even finished nailing in the nail before he got up. I wasn't sure how bad it was since he was so "cool" with it. One glance at his thumb seconds later and I knew I better run for some ice. When I came back out with it he was sitting down, looking very pale. A trip back in the house for water and then again for tylenol. After a few minutes he had some color return to his face.


A trip to the Dr a few days after he nailed it (haha, get it? nailed it?!) confirmed that it is broken, but not much you can do for a broken thumb. So he's wearing a splint and waiting to 1 - 6 weeks for it to feel better.

It proves to be a good laugh for all those that question his splint. He does work for a company that builds gazebo's. That does kinda involve a hammer. And before Roger worked in the office, he built too. Oh, how they laughed. Didn't help that just a few days after it happened we attended the annual company picnic. :)

Roger is being a very good sport about it. He knows it's funny. It hurts, but it's funny. And just for the record... I did not laugh at him for at least a full 24 hours.

So here you go, for your viewing pleasure... a picture of the broken thumb.
It's the swollen one on the left. ;)



And of the bridge... that is waiting to be finished.

3 comments:

jmo said...

I'm so glad you're OK Roger! Not that a broken thumb is OK- but hey- you didn't accidentally let go of the hammer and take out an eye or anything. so you're better than that, right?
The bridge is going to look LOVELY when it's done.

SilverFox said...

What you forgot to mention is that I was only on the third board when I did that. The other day we managed to do most of the rest of the bridge and I didn't hit any fingers.

Roger

SilverFox said...

I will also add that you did most of the rest of the bridge and I'm proud of how it turned out.

Good job Honey.